Expertise in and manufacture of measuring and drawing instruments has for centuries been an established skill in the middle Franconian region. In 1442, the Nürnberger Rotschmiede specialised on a new professional skill – that of the compass smith. This new industry concentrated on the manufacture of compasses and scientific instruments.
Albrecht Dürer's "Manual on measurements with compass and ruler", published in 1525, was a significant stimulus to the promotion of this craft.
Virtually nothing had changed in the traditional methods of manufacture by the time Edmund Boden founded a handicraft business for the manufacture of technical drawing instruments in 1892. The manufacture of high precision tools required handicraft, clever design and inventiveness.
Having further refined our manufacturing techniques since then, we consider ourselves privileged to deliver proof of our success in the 4th generation already. For many centuries the knitting looms have been rattling away in every home in Wilhelmsdorf, but as modern techniques passed the town by, the demand shrank and poverty stared the entire village in the face.
Two gentlemen came to the rescue in 1896: the businessman Edmund Boden and the technician Johann Christian Lotter.
With the aid of a loan, they together founded the first technical drawing instruments factory in Wilhelmsdorf, which still exists today (Erlanger Str. 11). This was the start of the town's recovery. A visit to the only known "compass museum" worldwide will offer you a glimpse of the industry of technical drawing instruments in earlier times.